Chinese Bride in Gele Headdress by Victor Lee

By  |  29 Comments

I’ve been sitting on a wonderful secret.  I’m a contributing writer to Munaluchi Bridal, the nationally published style guide for cultural weddings, particularly African-inspired unions.  I was honored to see my picture and article in national print, and that’s only the beginning.  While browsing through their winter glam issue (Lala Vazquez on the cover), I came across a real fusion wedding that just about had me speechless.  It’s got destination romance, fusion inspiration, and couple so lovely together, you just want to wrap them up into a little gift basket.

Setting: Ocho Rios, Jamaica & Mississauga, Ontario

Heroine/ Hero: Chinese/Vietnamese bride – Liza and her Nigerian beau – Olugbemiga

Signature colors: Beach – Ivory & Peach.

Photographer: Victor Lee

SCENE #1: BEACH INTIMACY

Nothing like an intimate Jamaican wedding on the beach.  Not only will your attending guests enjoy the ceremony, they’ll have a vacation that’s bound to be memorable.  Liza and Olugbemiga (Gbenga) chose this picturesque destination to say their vows, not forgetting to bring a little culture to the beach.  Before the beach ceremony, Gbenga’s family presented Liza’s family with proposal gifts (“Guo Da Li”) as part of the Chinese wedding dowry.

SCENE #2: TRADITION IN ONTARIO

According to the bride, “The most important aspect of the wedding was being able to represent both cultures.”  And represent, they did!  From a traditional tea ceremony to four-piece west African attire, there was way too much gorgeousness to go around.

Each table was sprinkled with faux, gem rocks and illuminated by LED centerpieces.  However, the highlight has to be the re-emergence of the couple in their traditional West African attire (“Buba” for the bride, and “Agbada” for the groom) custom made in Nigeria.  Seeing Liza in well coiffed headwrap, brings joy to my heart.

{CREDITS: Photography by Victor Lee Phography; White Bridal gown by Enzoani; Bridesmaid’s beach attire by Vogue Sposa; Beach Ceremony at The Riu Resort; Bouquets made by Bride; Traditional reception & Catering at Mississauga Grande Banquet Hall; Wedding Cake by Irresistable Cakes}

To read the full article on how Liza and Gbenga met, head over to the winter glam issue of Munaluchi Bridal, and get your copy today.  Thank you so much Victor Lee, for sharing these photos with us.

Related Images:

29 Comments

1. Patricia Kayden

February 15 at 7:52 am

Gorgeousness (if that’s even a word) just fills these wedding pictures!!

2. JB

February 15 at 9:11 am

These are BEAUTIFUL.

3. Pingback: Tweets that mention You'll drool over this tropical NIGERIAN/ CHINESE fusion wedding -- Topsy.com

4. Ola M.

February 15 at 12:44 pm

This is so freakin’ fabulous! I saw this in Munaluchi Mag but still can’t get over this particular fusion wedding. Just FAB!

• Fri B.

February 15 at 1:07 pm

I know right? Ola, I totally agree, I couln’t get enough of it. Intercultural style like this makes my heart melt.

• Fri B.

February 15 at 1:08 pm

Oh, and let’s just envision what they’re children will look like. GORGEOUS! A little girl who can go back and forth between Igbo, English, and Mandarin? Now that’s the generation I want to see:-)

• EddieN

August 13 at 10:23 am

Since the groom’s name is “Gbenga” (short for “Olugbemiga”, which means “God has lifted me up”) I’m pretty sure he is Yoruba…so his and Liza’s children will probably be going back and forth between Yoruba, English and Mandarin at the very least :)

My favorite picture of the series was the one where Liza is pinning something on her father-in-law’s agbada…so lovely!

• Fri F.

August 13 at 11:14 am

Haha, Thanks Eddie. You are right, Yoruba it is.

5. Roxane

February 15 at 3:28 pm

These photos are totally amazing, Victor has captured the cultural fusion really well. I just love it!!!!
    Great job!
    Roxie

6. Pingback: Featured on WeddingNouveau.com «

7. Naomi

February 19 at 11:00 pm

Oh my this is just gorgeous! I love the fusion of both cultures almost as much as I love your blog. This wedding makes me smile for so many reasons! xo

8. KAY

February 21 at 3:20 pm

BEAUTIFUL I think GOD Made us different to see things like this LOVE IS BEAUTIFULLLL !!!!!

9. KAY

February 21 at 3:23 pm

Hum and thanks for your blog it’s amazing and its makes me dream hihi <3 !!!!!

• Fri B.

February 21 at 3:32 pm

@KAY, thank you for your comment. Isn’t fusion GORGEOUS? And take it from me, it’s absolutely you’re right to dream. Spicyhugs.

10. Iyosi

March 1 at 12:05 pm

Lovely

11. Pingback: Featured In Munaluchi Bridal Magazine «

12. Chi A.

May 25 at 7:35 pm

Oh my goodness, their wedding photos are amazing! My favorite is the bride being sprayed with money, one of my favorite Nigerian customs, lol. Congrats to the happy couple!

• Fri B.

May 25 at 10:42 pm

Thank you Chi. I’m a fan of Nigerian Gele Style, personally. Wait till you see the gorgeous Nigerian fusion wedding we’ve got lined up for the magazine, coming summer 2011. Stay well.

13. Courtney

June 24 at 11:26 pm

Gorgeous couple and beautiful pictures! :)

14. Pingback: Featured on huffingtonpost.com | Victor Lee Photography

15. Deb

February 14 at 12:23 am

Lol I love that her mother is spraying her with money! That’s how we do it! Lovely wedding!

16. Ayebainaton Ekine

March 23 at 3:00 pm

I wish I could get in contact with this couple. My girlfriend is Viet and her parents do not accept the relationship because I’m “black” (I’m nigerian, my parents are from river state) But yeah, I just wish i could get a couple tips from them because I know I’m going to be with my girlfriend forever and I want my wedding to be the same exact way. Fusing the viet and nigerian culture has to be one of the best mixtures ever.

17. Ayebainaton Ekine

March 23 at 3:31 pm

i meant to say african and asian cultures are one of the best mixtures. i’d like to see how the kids turn out :)

18. LMF

August 1 at 4:20 am

They will be the best example for me to show to my family that chinese and nigerian can be perfect match too!

19. vencanice nis

September 17 at 6:17 am

Amazing couple. All photos are so nice and colorful, thay had fanzastic place for a wedding.

20. Tamie Myers

October 21 at 12:08 pm

We plan a lot of multicultural weddings too and this wedding is absolutely beautiful.

21. www.eventconnoisseur.com

October 21 at 1:06 pm

Wow!!! I we are speechless, Liza and Olugbemiga wedding pictures are absolutely breathtaking.

Now this is how we see it – beautiful couple in our childhood hometown Ocho Rios, Jamaica; we are wedding planners specializing in multi-cultural weddings … at this point, we are beyond dreaming in culture … :) Fantastic work Nouveau!!!!

22. Pingback: Multicultural Wedding Spotlight: Nigeria meets China | KolorBlind Mag